North Metro Fire Rescue District responded to a large residential structure fire on the 7000 block of W. 119th Place in Broomfield on Wednesday, June 27. All residents were able to evacuate safely in time, but the house was destroyed by the heavy flames and smoke, and the family lost some of their pets in the home.
North Metro Fire crews were dispatched just after 11 a.m. when multiple calls came in to the Broomfield Dispatch Center reporting a fire at a single-story home. When crews arrived, there was very little visibility due to the large amount of dark smoke billowing from the back of the structure. Crews began to attack the fire, which started along the fence line in the backyard and quickly spread to the home. The dry, warm conditions enabled the fire to quickly spread and intensify in a matter of minutes.
In total, eight fire engines, three trucks, four medic units, multiple chiefs and other emergency personnel responded to the scene, including units from Westminster Fire Department and Thornton Fire Department. Firefighters fought the fire in 100-degree temperatures for nearly an hour before gaining control of the fire. Additional units were called in to relieve the initial firefighting crews, so they could rehabilitate from the intense heat conditions.
Two adults and three young children were in the home when the fire originated in the backyard. They noticed smoke in the home and immediately evacuated. The family lost all of their belongings and will be unable to return to the home. They are being assisted by victim advocates from the Broomfield Police Department as well as the American Red Cross and A Precious Child.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental related to faulty electrical wires outside.